- About Us
- Tech Services
- Tech Library
- About GEF
Papers may now be submitted for the 2016 GEF/Flint Group Technical Writing Competition!
Click here to download the application
For Technical Achievement, encouraging scholarly inquiry into technical subjects related to the gravure printing process.
Entry Deadline: April 29, 2016
Eligibility for Submitting:
All full-time college or university students in either an undergraduate or graduate program are eligible to submit technical research papers. All work must be completed prior to graduation.
- Contestants submit technical research papers that address any aspect of gravure technology.
- The selected topic must be addressed comprehensively and in detail.
- Use of graphs and illustrations is required.
Technical Paper Organization:
The formal write-up for each Technical Writing submission should be organized as follows:
- Executive Summary: A brief summary of the problem, solution, and recommendations. The summary should be less than 300 words.
- Introduction: A description of the problem at hand and the possible courses of action that could be taken. The introduction should not include any technical or numerical data (or a minimum of such data).
- Methodology: A description of the problem data and the modeling techniques that will be used to solve the problem. This section is where the bulk of the technical and numerical data belongs.
- Results: The results should be presented in a clear, easy-to-understand format.
- Concluding Remarks: This is where the case is "wrapped-up." State that you have adequately addressed the problem at hand, discuss implementation of the solution, and state whatever concerns you may have about the recommended course of action.
- References: Material citations are to be placed here. Whichever citation style is chosen should be used consistently throughout the work.
- Appendix: Extra material such as pictures, graphs, etc., should be placed in this section.
Paper length should be approximately 10 pages or less excluding graphics and appendix. Microsoft Word document, 11 pt. font, double-spaced, and 1-inch margins.
Competition submissions should be in both hard-copy and electronic formats, accompanied with a completed entry form.
Only papers that are relevant to the gravure printing process will be reviewed. A panel of experienced persons in the gravure industry will be convened to evaluate the entries. Winning papers will be selected based on the following criteria:
- The relevancy of the topic to gravure
- The depth and comprehensiveness of the research
- The organization of material
- The clarity of presentation
Read Technical Writing: A Judge's Perspective, to learn what the judges are looking for when judging entries.
Three winners will be selected. In addition to a cash prize, all winners will receive the Award for Technical Achievement, which includes the following:
- Invitation to 2016 Educators Breakfast
- Publication of the paper on the GAAmericas website
- Aclnowledgement in GravurExchange
Cash prizes will be distributed as follows:
- Graduate Student Winner - $1,500
- Undergraduate 1st Place Winner - $1,000
- Undergraduate 2nd Place Winner - $500
Please note in the past, high-quality, non-winning papers were also selected for publication.
Congratulations to the 2016 Contest Winners
Ruoxi Ma, Western Michigan University - Graduate Winner
Lucas Tran, Cal Poly - Undergraduate Frist Place Winner
Breann Rittmann, Cal Poly - Undergraduate Second Place Winner
Support the GEF
Please take advantage of a new opportunity to support the Gravure Education Foundation! AmazonSmile will donate .5% of your eligible purchases to GEF each time you shop at Amazon. Simply click the link below and log in to your Amazon account, and your purchases will assist the training and education of current and future gravure industry employees. Thank you for your support!
Golden Cylinder Awards
The 2016 Golden Cylinder Awards competition is closed. In anticipation of the 2017 awards competition you can click here to learn more about these coveted industry awards and how to submit your application.